Description: An introduction to Astronomy in 8 lessons.
After a tour of the Solar System and beyond, students will be introduced to the various celestial circles and some terminology.
Students will be required to make their own Planet Finder which is a set of 3 circles that are slotted together in a certain way (full instructions and templates provided).
Students are shown how to predict the positions of the planets, Sun and Moon and place markers for them on the Finder. Then how to orient the Finder to show the actual direction of the planets, Sun, Moon, Galaxy and Galactic centre at any time (for any observer).
Next course starts: This course is always open - you can join any time.
Mode: 100 % Online - Self paced - Enrol and study from any part of the globe - watch the videos anytime that suits you. No prerequisites - anyone can join.
8 Video Lessons with Quizzes.
Cost: $20 Part 1 of this course is free (click on 'Introduction' to start)
Course created and conducted by Kenneth Williams.
HERE to access course * * Temporarily unavailable.
* * Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be informed when this course is available again.
If you have any questions, email: email@example.com
Part 1 The Solar System and Terminology
1. Description of the Solar System etc.
2. The Celestial Sphere and the Planet Finder
Part 2 Approximate Location the Planets etc.
3. Conjunctions: The Sun & Moon
4. Inferior Planets: Locating Mercury and Venus
5. Superior Planets: Locating Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune
Part 3 Improving Planet Positions
6. Some trigonometry (just a bit!)
7. Inferior Planets
8. Superior Planets